Thursday 18 February 2016

Federal College of Agric closed over students’ protest

The authorities of the Federal College of Agriculture (FCA), Ibadan, on Thursday ordered the closure of the school over a violent protest by its students, the College’s Provost, Dr Babajide Adelekan said.

The students during the protest were demanding a reduction in their school fees and the suspension of the Nigeria Institute of Information Technology (NIIT) programme being organised for them by the college, among others.

Adelekan told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ibadan that the students had gone on rampage on Wednesday causing inconveniences to workers and members of the public.

“They blocked the gates leading into and out of the school and disturbed the environment.

“So, the authorities had to close the college till further notice to forestall a situation it will not be able to handle,” he said.

The provost said that the school fee was affordable for the students when compared to what was paid in other colleges of agriculture and polytechnics.

“Every returning student pays N33, 200 in a year, while each fresh student pays N51, 700 in a year; we afford them a bed space at N90 for a year per student.

“They do have water supply 24 hours, steady power supply and healthy environment for learning,” the provost said.

On the issue of NIIT programme, Adelekan said that the college agreed with the firm to teach the students computer studies and offer them international certificate apart from their normal certificates.

“The programme has been on for about three years now, students who passed through it have been grateful but all of a sudden some of them decided that they don’t want it again.

“And we want the best for them, to equip them in all ramification so that it will enhance their marketability in the job market,” he said.

The provost said that the college would reopen for academic activities after all the students must have completed the payments of their school fees, stop their hooliganism and become remorseful.

Several phone calls and attempts to reach the Students’ Union Government President by NAN were abortive as he did not pick his calls up till the time of filing the report.


No comments:

Post a Comment