Saturday 3 June 2017

Presidency Keeps Mum over Suspended SGF, NIA Boss

The Presidency on Friday refused to make further comments on the fate of the suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal; and the suspended Director- General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ambassador Ayo Oke.

When asked what was delaying the implementation of the report of a presidential panel that probed the two officials, the Senior Special Assistant to the Acting President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, simply said "the answers have not changed."

When further asked what the answers are, Akande said, " Nothing further to say."

He had on May 21 issued a statement, saying the two officials remained suspended.

He had said, "Regarding media inquiries on the progress of the report of the presidential investigative panel, we urge for patience - when the time comes, the outcome of the panel would be made manifestly public and Nigerians would be satisfied.
The two suspended officials remain suspended."

President Muhammadu Buhari had on April 19 suspended the two government officials and constituted a three-man committee, led by the Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo, to investigate them.

The panel investigated allegations of violation of law and due process made against Lawal in the award of contracts under the Presidential Initiative on the North-East, while it probed Oke on the discovery of large amounts of foreign and local currencies by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in a residential apartment at Osborne Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos, which NIA had claimed ownership of.

The committee, which had the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN); and the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno, as members, was billed to submit its report to Buhari on May 8 but could not do so because the President had left the country on May 7 for medical follow-up in London, United Kingdom.

The situation stirred the curiosity of many Nigerians who have been asking if Osinbajo would implement the report of the panel which he chaired.

Three weeks after the President left the country, the report of the panel and government's decision on the officials have not been made public.

No comments:

Post a Comment